Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dear MTV

Dear MTV,

         GTFOH. Let me start off by saying I place no credibility in MTV's Hottest MCs in the Game list whatsoever, but since they put it out there I'm going to speak my piece. I mean what does MTV know about any music in 2009 anyway. Let alone rap music. Now if was the hottest reality tv shows, then maybe I'd take their word for it. But I digress. MTV's "braintrust" has the right to put whomever they want on their list so I won't complain about who they decided to include. I actually agree with most of the artist on the list. But it's who they didn't include that has caused a stir. I, like many others, have no idea how Mr. Marshall Mathers was not included on this list. Sigh... I voiced my opinion about this on twitter soon after the top 5 was released and i just brushed the whole thing off. Then MTV had the nerve to attempt to explain why he didn't make the list.


            "Eminem's ranking was one of the most discussed topics at the Roundtable. His hotly anticipated return to hip-hop after a
             long absence drove first-week sales of over 600,000 — the highest first-week sales of the year so far. He granted a handful
             of select interviews here and abroad, and was part of a massive moment with Sacha Baron Cohen at the MTV Movie Awards.


             But then Em retreated to the lab, where he spent the summer crafting Relapse 2. From June to September, Em all but took
             himself out of the public eye, while other MCs generated week-to-week heat with mixtapes, guest appearances, performances

             and Web activity. He returned in September with comedic moments and a win at the VMAs, then dropped a verse on Drake's
             "Forever" (also featuring Kanye West and Lil Wayne). The song's move into heavy rotation came subsequent to our roundtable.
             In between, he kept his profile low"


 *Cough*BULLSHIT*Cough

           Excuse me. So you mean to tell me that despite having the best selling rap album so far this year(almost 1.5 million units moved since May), having the years biggest 1st week sales(608,000 units), having broken the first week digital sales record back in February when 'Crack A Bottle sold 418,000 units in 7 days, and then topping it off by winning your own Video Music Award for 'Best Hip Hop video, he still doesn't make it? You say 'Forever's "move into heavy rotation came subsequent to the roundtable",  but that song was on the nets well before it moved into heavy rotation and if you needed to hear it more than one time to realize that Mr. Mathers verse was second to none of the others, than you probably shouldn't have been included in this process.

               So let me see because he "took himself out of the public eye" from June to September and "kept his profile low" that's a good enough reason to exclude him?  No disrespect to Raekwon because I purchased and love OBFCL2 but the buzz around the cd only lasted a couple months and prior to the promotional push for the cd I don't recall Rae being in "the public view" all that much. And Rick Ross? He may of been "in the public view" for a few months earlier this year surrounding the release of his album, but what else? And let's not get started on 50's lackluster performance as of late. I mean the 2 mixtapes he dropped were average at best. Best thing he did all year was Pimpin Curly. So having a popular website makes you a hot MC? I mean what's next? You guys going to give a female the VMA for video of the year , but not the VMA for female video of the year? Oh, wait never-mind. Sigh... In closing, Dear MTV GTFOH!

1 comment:

  1. Tell me about it!!!! What the hell ever happened to the music? Seriously,it appears that all you need to make it in the game these days is money, Talent is optional *SMH*

    ReplyDelete